Have you ever wondered what it would be like to swim with the fishes everyday? How about teaching trick to sea otters? Or even being in charge of caring for nurse sharks and dolphins? Kiersten Bass is an Advanced Marine Mammal Training Intern at Clearwater Marine Aquarium located in Clearwater, Florida. She spends most of her week like many of us, in class, doing homework and trying to balance work and a social life. Kiersten’s job however, is different. She gets to do something that we would have only dreamed of doing as kids, taking care of and helping to rehabilitate marine mammals.
Some of the questions that I used during this interview were:
- What is your title at the aquarium and how long have you been interning there?
- What got you interested in marine mammal care and rehabilitation?
- How did you find out about the internship and when did you receive notice that you were selected as an intern?
- Explain how it felt to receive the internship and what your reaction was.
- What are your specific duties as an intern?
- What is your favorite thing about interning at Clearwater Marine Aquarium and why?
- How often do you get to work with and take care of Winter and Hope at the aquarium?
- What is one word that you would use to describe your internship at CMA and why?
- What is your end goal after you finish your time as an intern here at CMA?
- Do you struggle to balance school, social life and your internship? What is the hardest part about being a part of the internship program?